If you are looking for quick and easy recipes to make on busy days, this Chicken Posole Verde is perfect! You can cook it up in just 20 minutes or let it simmer all day in the crockpot.
Posole is a mexican hominy stew. (You can find hominy near the canned corn in your grocery store). While hominy is a must in traditional posole, all the other ingredients are up to you. You can make posole rojo (red) or posole verde (green). It can be spicy, or it can be mild. Traditional posole is made with pork, but chicken is certainly an easier option. You can also make vegetarian posole as well as turkey posole.
I made posole rojo once long ago, but this posole verde recipe with diced green chiles and a poblano pepper is by far my new favorite! I used a rotisserie chicken and then added lots of garnishes.
Here’s how ya make a pot of this goodness…
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 large poblano pepper, cored and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles
- 1 (3.8-ounce) can sliced black olives
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 (14-ounce) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Garnishes: diced avocado, thinly-sliced radishes, chopped fresh cilantro, crumbled cotija cheese, lime wedges.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat
- Add onion and poblano and saute for 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and translucent
- Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute, stirring occasionally
- Add the diced green chiles, chicken stock, olives, hominy, chicken, and seasonings
- Stir to combine.
- Heating until soup begins to simmer
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 5 minutes
- Taste, and season with extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm, topped with your favorite garnishes
- You can also cook this in your crockpot. Add all ingredients (except the garnishes) and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Top with your favorite garnishes and serve it up warm!
It’s even better the next day, so be ready to enjoy any leftovers!
GET INSTANT ACCESS TO MY
LIBRARY OF FREE PRINTABLE
BLOGGING TOOLS, EBOOKS &
GOODIES FOR YOUR HOME!
Sign up to get FREE printables available only for subscribers!
Don't forget to check your inbox! We'll never send you spam. Unsubscribe at any time.